The Nerd's 06 STi

Undecisive

Phil @ element tuning lost his wing on VIR doing and entered a corner doing 148MPH and it caused lift since he lost about 400lbs of downforce in the rear end and he rolled.

Just got my Cobb TBE in. I took the downpipe, had it ceramic coated, then wrapped with DEI header wrap. Reflashed to Stage 2 with my AP. I took it around with just the downpipe hooked up, since my doughnut gasket fell apart completely. Hopefully I will have the rest on by wednesday since the gasket is being overnited to me. I just got my brakepads in, and they are about to go on. This mod bug is chewing up all my time and $ fast. Next payday I am getting a clutch ( not sure which one) and hopefully swaybars if I have enough left over. In the not too distant future I want to get a grimmspeed EBC, turbo shield, and a protune. I really want to keep the engine bay looking stock because I love sleepers!

Undecisive

What type of clutch are you wanting? Something streetable with a little more grabbing power, or a weekend track car style clutch that can also be daily driven? Also what kind of budget do you have for a clutch? Do you plan to get a lighter flywheel as well?

I am still reading into the clutches to figure out what to get. I don't mind a stiff pedal at all, but I don't want overkill. I just want a clutch that will be durable for a car with mid 300 whp power range. My OEM clutch is just starting to let me know it's time to start looking. The brands I was interested in was Act and Excedy. Definately not looking for any Ebay specials. I am toying with flywheels, but nothing that makes DD difficult. I am more interested in a CF driveshaft than a flywheel currently. I think as far as price goes, I would like to stay under $1K.

Undecisive

Clutchmasters make some nice setups, I just moved to an FX300 kevlar clutch, because I expect to be at the road course almost every single weekend, if not there then definitely at an autox. ACT makes some decent street kits, a little bit stiffer pedal and some more grabbing power, perfect for the power you mentioned.

Also, for the CF driveshaft, look into ACPT for that. I've only heard good things about them and the people that have them and race consistently have said it's held up great. I contacted ACPT about a price, from ACPT directly they are $1300 and take a few weeks to make. If you hold out for a little bit, and check NASIOC group buy sections, there is usually a group buy for the driveshafts and you can get them for 900 shipped.

Just remember to keep your stock driveshaft around just in case it does break for any reason.

Last edited:
I was leary about CF driveshafts, but I ran one on my last car. They can handle all kinds of abuse and power. I did a bunch of drifting in my Z, and never once had an issue. I even used it for some drag, and it held up fine. The car had 295s on the back, it hooked and launched hard in boost. The driveshaft also doesn't hurt driveability on the street, like a flywheel.

Side note running this open downpipe has made me want to do an E-cutout on my cat back. Prolly put it in the midpipe with a side exit on the passanger side. I am bipolar with exhaust. Sometimes I like it loud, sometimes I need quiet. Ever since I had a Maserati GTS on loan for a weekend I am less into loud stuff though. I got a splitting headache everytime I drove it for more than a few minutes, and thats before I hit the sport button that opened up the exhaust.

Undecisive

If you want to, for the acpt driveshaft, you can put together a group buy yourself and contact acpt about it and theyll give you all the info on how many you need to get the price to 900 bucks and what not. A little bit of work to save 400 bucks isn't bad at all ;)

If you plan to do any sort of racing, I would read the rulebooks about side exit exhausts and see how far back they have to go before they can exit the side, so you aren't doing something twice and wasting money. :)

I about crapped my pants yesterday. After coming home from job #2 I checked my oil as I usually do a few times a week, and the dipstick was dry. I waited a few minutes and rechecked and the oil was just low then. I looked under the car and checked the plastic under piece and there was nothing but water from the AC. I checked the oil again before going to work today and it's 3/4 full. Anyone experience this before? I almost had a tow truck ready at the house. I was freaking out because I just lost the driveshaft off my 92 blazer, and both my cars would be down. Does this sound like I need to do anything in the way of preventitive maintainance, or is that normal? I change my oil every 2,000 miles, and have been using Shell T6 5w40. I am thinking about switching to amsoil since a buddy in town is a vendor now, and promised a deal. I thought my Scooby was about to be a dead dog for a second. I gotta keep this thing in perfect running condition so I don't have to use my 92 1500 Blazer in the summer which would really suck.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
A couple notes.
1) 20g is outdated. The 20g-xt would be better at everything but there is even still the new gtx turbos and EFR's (that are back ordered.

2) clutches, I have the ACT HDSS and it is stiff during break in but gets better after time. It's still stiff but once you get used to it it's just fine for dd'ing. My car held it's power with 499whp but was recommended that I keep an eye on it and when the time comes get a twin disk. I got my clutch and the ACT streetlite flywheel both for $1k off eBay (eBay special lol)

3) you said you just put the dp on and want it louder? Did you pit the catback on? I have a custom exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler and it is LOUD even with a catted dp.

Thanks for the clutch help, thats actually the one I was eyeballing. I most likely will keep the stock flywheel though. As for the exhaust I have the full Cobb TBE on now and love the noise 90% of the time, but I would like an electronic cut out before the muffler to make it hella loud when I want, then have the ability to hit a button and be back to quiet. Before I do a turbo swap I want at least new pistons, header, uppipe, rods, and cams. I got a while to drool over them. My guess is around a year or so.

281398_514716294115_185400169_30279174_5435200_n.jpg 254624_514884536955_185400169_30281380_8080949_n.jpg

Some new pics. 1st is the ceramic coated and DEI Ti wraped Cobb catted downpipe/PTP blanked turbo. Second is of that sweet Cobb exhaust. Sorry for my phone's crappy pic quality.

Last edited:
Blanket ended up being about $90. I found them online after reading about them somewhere. I am working on a sheild to work along with this as well that seems to be doing pretty well. Once I get the setup completed I will post pics. After driving today for about 20 minutes in 90 degree weather The sheild was cool enough to touch. Usually I cant even touch my intercooler, let alone the turbo sheild!

Sorry I have been gone for a while, but I have been insanely busy. I just returned my car to stock for winter, and replaced the clutch with an Exedy Stage1HD clutch. She also got Brembo slotted rotors, SSlines, and Hawk HP plus pads. I have Continental extreme contact DWS tires in the mail from Tirerack to run this winter as well. During the winter I plan on upgrading the Stereo completely. The previous owner put in crappy Wal-Mart component speakers, and I found his run of "8gauge" that was maybe 16 gauge power wire and ground. I am also going to upgrade the car's alarm. I really want coilovers that are close to stock height for deep snow, but can adjust lower maybe 3" for summer, but I'min no hurry. I currently have a few major projects I am working on in my spare time.

Just got the car running again. This engine rebuild was under warranty since the previous was only 5k miles earlier. After all my engine troubles I am going to settle down on making hp for a bit. Ive been really busy lately and driving my truck gets really old fast (92 1500 Blazer). I do have a bunch of sweet pics I need to post that will be up soon.

Last edited:
Some friends at a meetup AWD FTW!!!
521290_368362853213567_1012668156_n.jpg

New Kenwood headunit
379370_526129457045_556779474_n.jpg

Audio equipment installed
538678_526097810465_185400169_30320719_495342840_n.jpg

Hella Installed
562402_525576585005_567129736_n.jpg

Needing a bath
426829_522837214725_2023321327_n.jpg

My buddie's toys with my STi