05 STI BUILD

Might be willing to sell you my converter harness for cheap. I'm probably going to get the FlexFuel setup from them and I'd like to get the harness that plugs into the MAF plug on one side, and has separate pigtails one for the IAT sensor, the other using the MAF signal wires as the input from the ethanol sensor so the ECU can read the content and adjust accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool I want to see if George prefers full map tune or a hybrid MAF MAP tune for my car before I commit but definitely interested.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
MAP... There is no real advantage to hybrid unless you move the MAF to a blow through configuration and combine it with a flow straightener. It is more trouble than it is worth. :tup: The problem that people don't seem to realize is the temperature sensor location if you maintain the MAF in the stock location. If the temp sensor is at the MAF then the SD calculations will be skewed. If it is in the manifold then the MAF calculations will be skewed.

By the way @HolyCrapItsFast I have a few questions regarding what route I should take with my tuning set up.

I already have a tactrix open port 2.0 cable and plan on getting a wiring harness from Flexconverors.com and using a GM Fast Response IAT Sensor that I will be installing in the intake manifold.

Do you recommend a full map or a hybrid MAF and MAP tune for my set up?

The other question is you will be able to tune it with the open source tune if I go this route correct?

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161009/009d14c2688a6c6abb53dc9eb619c788.jpg

This is what I'm looking at now which is the full map harness and iat sensor.

Thanks [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4986]SudoSTI[/MENTION] I guess that answers your question about selling your existing harness to me.

462000847d172b1801b6fae155e238e5.jpg

I went to harbor freight and tools and picked up a variable speed router switch so I can adjust the speed of my Makita rotary tool. I also picked up an arbor with some grinding discs, flap wheels and cheap debur bits that I will be using only for shaving the outside tabs and EGR off. I'll be picking up my sti manifold tomorrow from my mother's house (where my sti is garaged) so I know which mounting points to keep and which to shave off. Since I figure a few extra mounting points will be helpful for future aftermarket items I'm planning on keeping a few extra mounting areas on the manifold since I'm more about usability and not about engine bay looks.

Well I'm excited to say I tried one of the debur bits on a small section of the EGR and it started to chew thru it quickly. I stopped since it was 8pm and I didn't want to have the neighborhood listening to hours of grinding. I'll be putting some hours in to this manifold tomorrow so wish me luck.

Well I'm excited to say I tried one of the debur bits on a small section of the EGR and it started to chew thru it quickly. I stopped since it was 8pm and I didn't want to have the neighborhood listening to hours of grinding. I'll be putting some hours in to this manifold tomorrow so wish me luck.

Good luck

PS the $16 router variable speed control works perfectly with this grinder making it a $120 dollar multi speed rotary tool that I will be able to port and shave the manifold with along with porting the turbo and tgv housings. I plan on selling the tgvs and using them as my guinea pig to see how well I can port before moving on to the 2.5i manifold and then the FP green turbo housings.

Well since my kids are coming off a cold and would have been outside with me I didn't start shaving the manifold today since it was gloomy and wet.

I also have to figure out what mounting tabs I'm keeping and shaving since I've seen one article saying a guy regretted shaving off all the tabs.

But I took pics comparing the sti manifold to the na manifold and also started marking things I think I will be shaving off in black permanent marker.
c8bc80ce1e5379803899f05739bb8cc3.jpg

b07b3e744776612ebc408a331efc75d6.jpg

0c1bd3f638b200f8035cbde122e935e9.jpg

Then the pic of what I believe I need to shave off marked in black.

5b88b19a4d341ba0897ba61b61ff0d3a.jpg

Well I picked up 7/8 inch cut off wheels and grinding discs which are the wrong size for my arbor like a noob so I couldn't use the cut off wheels. I was able to remove a portion of the EGR valve path and smooth some castings out on the manifold with the bits I had but their not the proper ones so I pretty much am waiting on the carbide debur bits and correct arbor to continue on but here's a few pics. I can't wait to get to grinding away with the proper tool.

Before
ad0504c8cdf71c10510d2badb8026a0e.jpg

After
63f3e61cd4dea7db230f0a8595b910ab.jpg

3928a4db14452794806968d84d2ac0c9.jpg

4d1541708af238f4368cef5237a047c5.jpg

68a527f0b1721972e80527a3df2613ae.jpg

fee4ecccc919083aef35843d61e00a87.jpg

I spent a couple hours grinding tabs and the EGR off of the manifold and need to figure out how many tabs I want to keep so I can have mounting points for wiring harness, AOS lines and what ever I want. Im figuring I have another 2-3 hours of grinding to get it to the point where I can powder coat it.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Is it tedious to grind it?

Is it tedious to grind it?
It's not that tedious it's just time consuming. I'm actually enjoying the practice and how I'm getting to know my tools since I can't really screw up royally on the out side of the manifold. I'm just looking at it as good practice for me since I'll be port matching the runners flange to the ks tech phenolic spacers. I'll also be porting the throttle body, two sets of tgv housings (I plan on flipping) and will be purchasing a set of double cut carbide burrs so I can port my fp green exhaust and intake housings.

I figure all the extra small amount of porting I'm doing will pay off in the long run.

Another day off or two and I'll have this ready to powder or ceramic coat.

These new pics are the product of a couple more hours of time put in to shaving. I'm still taking it slow since im getting use to the shaving process and also still need to figure out how much I want to shave and leave.

43d0cdef6649e2366ce5bf3b6a7ab13f.jpg

8b93ebfe7dc559a55c34964d86298415.jpg

00c4a3b52c5626652a8247f96847c7e8.jpg

348e6fa410b39cb853a1901fd43443f1.jpg

4494608b840b02a61dafed207735c846.jpg

Looking good. Can't wait to see the results of it. Was thinking about doing this to my sti later on.

Looking good. Can't wait to see the results of it. Was thinking about doing this to my sti later on.

Thanks I'm excited as well and let's see what George thinks of it after he tunes my build. Who knows he night be tuning a whole fleet of subarus with these on them lol.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'M READY! Just say the word!

:lmao:

So anybody have feedback on if I should remove all but the brake booster vacuum line and install ports? Do you guys think just rubber caps on the existing extra ones will be vacuum leaks? I like having the option of extra vacuum ports but don't like vacuum leaks and this is my first boosted car since I'm only use to working on muscle cars lol.