More Power??? Or go for looks??? Help Please????

cobbtunedsti

Last summer I made 452 whp and 431tq on cobb's mustang dyno on E85 on just 21psi. Calvin said i would be over 500whp on 24psi for $1600 ( FPR, 2nd Fuel Pump, Labor,Tune) I have a Act Xtss clutch and it would be pushing it.. Do I risk it?? Or spend my money on a 6 puck clutch so I can finally launch it, Tint, springs.. Ext.. (I don't won't a twin plate so don't ask!!!)... The car is 100% stock on the outside.. Advised????

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Are you used to that power level already?? lol I paid $1500 for my clutch kit, flywheel and labor. Like Jared said, sways, endlinks but you could probly even throw some BC coilovers on there if you're in the coilover market. If you don't want suspension and just want pure cosmetics...a set of wheels might be feesable but you'd still need a little extra for tires. What kind of look are you going for?

cobbtunedsti

I can get a 6 puck for $600.. Cobb's labor is $450.. The Xtss holds power at WOT but not from a launch and if it slips on the dyno I wasted money I could have spent on a clutch.. And yes I wanted more power within a month.. Lol It's so hard to choose???

cobbtunedsti

On looks I was thinking of Tint, springs, powdercoat stock rims and clutch=$2,000

cobbtunedsti

@Fr3ak what clutch do you have and does it hold your power level at WOT and launch??

I can get a 6 puck for $600.. Cobb's labor is $450.. The Xtss holds power at WOT but not from a launch and if it slips on the dyno I wasted money I could have spent on a clutch.. And yes I wanted more power within a month.. Lol It's so hard to choose???

On looks I was thinking of Tint, springs, powdercoat stock rims and clutch=$2,000

I doubt you'd waste much money on the dyno. Maybe $200 at most. Call and talk to them to be sure.

-Springs are $400
-Tint is $150-200
-Powdercoating $500
-Clutch $600
-Labor?
-Flywheel? (cobb doesnt resurface flywheels)

cobbtunedsti

If they tell me the clutch will hold I'll do that..
Springs.$315 shipped I'll install myself
Tint.$200
Powdercoating is only $30 per rim here in Tulsa
And I only have 6,000 miles on my flywheel..

If they tell me the clutch will hold I'll do that..
Springs.$315 shipped I'll install myself
Tint.$200
Powdercoating is only $30 per rim here in Tulsa
And I only have 6,000 miles on my flywheel..

$30 per rim! I paid $75 and was happy!

Don't forget to add a $100 or so for the tire removal, reinstall, and balancing

cobbtunedsti

I get free balance at walmart... Lol I also just talked to cobb. It will be pushing the clutch..

I get free balance at walmart... Lol I also just talked to cobb. It will be pushing the clutch..

Thats awesome about the tires! When I had my wheels done I had tires from the previous owner so I had to pay for balancing.

Disclaimer: The following is simply an opinion based on years of forum whoring, journal reading, and dyno viewing, and car obsessing. It should not be taken as fact or an example of first hand experience.

Do you really want more power at this point? I feel doing suspension parts would balance out the car more.

IMO an STI will never be an all out power beast. Its a balanced car with good handling and power from the factory and should be modded accordingly. This is what sets it apart from the rest. A Camaro can make 5-600whp for less than it would costs with an STI but it would cost a lot more to get the Camaro to handle as well as an STi. I'd personally recommend a keeping healthy power level for your setup and improve the other areas of your car. Your car may be able to make more than 500whp on its setup but it would also increase engine wear. Even the best built motors will go eventually at high power levels.

I sense you have the same disease I do... My car only satisfies my power lust in 1st and 2nd with 380whp... I've always been like this. I've decide that pushing the engine any harder than 430-440whp (I have a smaller turbo) would be a lost cause. I've faced the fact that my STI will never be as powerful as I want it. Its just not the right car to go for huge numbers in. My STi can however become an awesome all around street/ track car and that?s what I'm focusing on now. I'm setting aside my crave for retarded power for a different platform..... something with 800whp and 2,200lbs. I wont be able to build it until at least 5 years from now but it will be worth it.

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/Content.aspx?f=gtrintro

Just my thoughts.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I'm doing all suspension mods first then brakes. No matter how much power you have if you can't control it it does no good to have it. A wise man once told me. To take the car to the extreme you have to be able to control it!

cobbtunedsti

@Bad Sti.. Very nice I agree 100%.. I built the car to run off 24psi but ran out of fuel during tuning!! I would rarely run the high boost map anyways.. Just when I get beat.. Lol... I would just run the low boost map 99% of the time:) i could alway due suspension stuff later because it cost less than power.. I see your point about never having enough power..

cobbtunedsti

I want to take the car to the track and the xtss won't launch!!! But I will save it for a back up!

jswansti

I agree with Jared and Defined. I wouldnt worry about the clutch if your going the suspension/aesthetics route.. Sways and endlinks are usually the first suspension mod, then springs or coilovers depending on how much you can/ want to spend. And tint is always nice :D

cobbtunedsti

I've only tried twice... I drove out to a strait road before WOT and tried at 5,000 rpm's and it just spun and finally took off.. Tried again and the car didn't even move.. The clutch is 100% fine at WOT. I will try to launch it again before I by a new clutch..