GD Rehabilitating an abused bugeye

Vermont

but a cheap little honda civic for under $1000 bucks. drive that daily and then build the wrx. I would say if you don't mind that drop in spool the Dom 1.5 is a stellar turbo. Then pick up a stronger clutch any act will do, followed by a transmission brace. Should allow you to max out the stock engine before having to rebuild it if the tuning is done right.

Z1107

Mark I want to build my motor first so it can't be maxed out. I want build a motor that can handle 500+hp but only run 350-380hp, I want a cushion of safety. I've spoken to Fuji about all the materials but I am trying to factor in a new turbo into the budget because I doubt my td05 will get the job done. I want more low end as this car is a DD I have fun with in the mtns.

Z1107

Part of the plan is to stick with the EJ20. And I put the wrong power levels up, I'll perfectly content with 300-330whp, but would like 320-350lbs of torque. I am still curious about options on beefing up the tranny, and especially like what Mark told me about the brace Reks is running.

Vermont

If I remember right the brace is made by moores performance on here and they only made a few in the first batch. Gino is testing in on Twiz's car right now. They are right about at the power limit of the stock 5 speed and have been abusing the piss out of it to see if it breaks (according to Reks). There should be a post about in the tranny section here. let me know if you can't find it so I can dredge it up, to lazy right now to go looking for it :p. According to Reks they are going to toss on a rotated turbo next and bump the power way beyond the stock 5 speeds limits and see if it holds. The idea and principle behind the brace is a very sound one but as well know the real world is where designs are proven, not on the drawing board.

Z1107

Here's the plan, Fuji feel free to add anything I might have missed.

Phase 1: acquire fuel beater car and cheap used EJ20 motor for rebuild.

Phase 2: begin teardown of used motor and begin purchasing parts for build.

Phase 3: send heads off for port and polishing and other work.

Phase 4: beef up transmission, brace and new clutch.

Phase 5: reassemble everything and install.

Phase 6: break in.

Z1107

Found my boost leak, limping car 2 miles staying out of boost. Vacuum line off turbo inlet gaping hole.

Z1107

So I've decided when winter ends I'm selling the Rex. I love Subaru and I love our IGOTASTi community but the subie is too much to maintain and too expensive. I'm going to go the way of George and switch to an S13 or S14. I still will support and be active in the community because I am not done with my love the car.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
So I've decided when winter ends I'm selling the Rex. I love Subaru and I love our IGOTASTi community but the subie is too much to maintain and too expensive. I'm going to go the way of George and switch to an S13 or S14. I still will support and be active in the community because I am not done with my love the car.

I'm sad now. :(

Z1107

JJ I'm not leaving and I'll continue to sponsor the site, just right now I can't afford this car, I'll certainly buy another but I've started a business and can't afford both.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
JJ I'm not leaving and I'll continue to sponsor the site, just right now I can't afford this car, I'll certainly buy another but I've started a business and can't afford both.

What business?

Z1107

Private security details for VIPs, it's taken alot of my capital to get going and I've got business rolling in, but you know how start ups are for the first couple of years.

I love the community you've created too much to leave, I just won't be sporting a Rex. I'm thinking of buying an old forrester or outback as my daily.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Private security details for VIPs, it's taken alot of my capital to get going and I've got business rolling in, but you know how start ups are for the first couple of years.

I love the community you've created too much to leave, I just won't be sporting a Rex. I'm thinking of buying an old forrester or outback as my daily.

Good deal. If you need anything let me know. Trust me I know about business, lol.